Cleveland Funeral Home Neglect Attorneys
Legal Representation for Funeral Home Negligence
Experiencing the death of a loved one, whether a family member or friend, is one of the most emotionally devastating events that a person may experience. During that time, the family will look to funeral home to arrange and manage the funeral arrangements for the loved one that passed away.
The emotional trauma and pain during this time can be exacerbated when the funeral home acts in a way that disrespects the loved one’s body or interferes with the rights of the surviving family members. Your rights include the right to immediately gain procession of the body and have it properly persevered. When you are unable to proceed with the normal funeral process, or the funeral home acts in a disrespectful way, you have the right to petition for emotional damages. At Novak LLP we have the experience to help you recover any damages that may be owed.
What is considered Funeral Home Negligence?
The following is a non-comprehensive list of funeral home negligence examples:
- Cremating the wrong body
- Losing cremated remains
- Improperly storing or embalming a body
- Stealing personal property (wedding rings, gold filings, jewelry, etc…)
- Misappropriating money
- Overcharging for procedures
- Placing more than one body in a single coffin
- Switching out high priced coffins for less expense ones after burial
- Organs harvested and sold as donor tissue
- Dropping a body during transport
What to do if you suspect the funeral home has acted negligently?
If you suspect that the funeral home attending to your loved one’s funeral has acted negligently, it is important to act quickly. These cases are time sensitive as evidence can be lost or destroyed. You should:
- Record what has transpired. Take the time to prepare a list of all conversations you have had with the funeral home director in charge of your loved one’s funeral. Contact other family members that have been involved in these conversations or that may have additional information. Have each person involved write down as many details as possible.
- Save all documents. It is vital to keep each document you receive from the funeral home. This can help you prove your case and can be used as evidence.
- Act immediately. There is no time to waste; it is vital to contact a funeral home negligence attorney as soon as you suspect the funeral home has acted in a disrespectful or negligent manner. An attorney can help you file a complaint and proceed with a lawsuit.
Contact the experience Cleveland Funeral Home Neglect Attorneys
At Novak LLP we understand how difficult losing a love one is. We are here to help you prove that the funeral home acted negligently. While no damages recovered can make up for the emotional pain and suffering caused by a funeral home’s negligence, it can help you to start the healing process knowing that those involved have been held responsible. Contact our office today to schedule a free initial consultation.